RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, August 8, 2014

This has been a big week in Drake's football program. It was the week 97-year-old Paul Morrison gave his annual pep talk to the players. Morrison says he's seen more than 900 Bulldog football games [and a lot more basketball games] in his many years as a Drake student, university administrator and historian. "I have a three-page typed speech that I read to the players," Morrison told me on pie day at Village Inn. "I read it every August to team members and coaches." I'm sure there were lots of Johnny Bright, Warren Gaer and Chuck Shelton anecdotes in that speech. By the way, Morrison chose cherry pie and dark roast coffee as he dined with Larry Morgan, Mike Mahon and me. "Best cherry pie I ever had," Morrison said.

Paul Morrison