RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, October 17, 2014

Sad News, But Not Shocking News As Newspapers Remain On Life-Support While Preparing To Die: Pat Harty Loses His Job As An Outstanding Sports Columnist At the Iowa City Press Citizen. The Veteran Of 23 Years At the Paper Tweets, 'It Sucks Being Laid Off, But It Feels Like An 800-Pound Sinking Ship Has Been Lifted From My Back'.


 Mike Mahon, the former Drake sports information director who still makes a habit of staying on top of the news, sent me this email today:

Did you see this tweet today from Susan Harman



Gannett strikes again gutting Press-Citizen sports dept by laying off hard -working Pat Harty, a 23-yr employee. PC left w/ 1 in sports.

Susan Harman is a retired newspaper sportswriter. Among the cities in which she worked were Des Moines, Ames and Iowa City. She and I worked in the Des Moines Register newsroom at
Pat Harty
the same time for a number of years, and I regarded her as a hard worker who handled her responsibilities thoroughly.
The information she tweeted about Des Moines native Pat Harty doesn't shock me because of the lousy, unfair stuff going on in the dying newspaper business these days. However, that doesn't prevent me from being saddened by Harty's plight. I've known him for a long time, and I always felt he did an outstanding job of covering the sports news at the University of Iowa. I've always thought that writing columns about a collegiate sports program for the newspaper in that city is one of the most challenging things in journalism. But Harty handled his responsibilities in a professional manner, and I hope he is hired for a comparable, or better, job now that he'll be gone from the Iowa City Press Citizen. Harty and Susan Harman worked in the Press Citizen newsroom  at the same time for many years. Harman beat the hangman to the punch by retiring. Harty waited until the bitter end to be told he's no longer needed. Awful stuff. My best to you, Pat. I hope to see you in a press box again soon.


Here are a couple of tweets Harty has sent today:


 I'm very excited to announce that I will start writing a Hawkeye blog for KCJJ radio that can be read at .