RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, August 20, 2015

I was thinking about passing this on to Andrew Logue, who writes stuff for the paper about sports reporters, sportswriting and sports broadcasting. But then I remembered that Logue is probably busy these days checking reporters' tweets and doing preseason football stories. So I'll write it, and I know Andrew will read it here when he has time. What I'm referring to is the "Two Guys Named Jim" radio program that is no more. Two Guys Named Jim used to be Jim Zabel and Jim Walden. Zabel, who died a couple of years ago, was the longtime WHO radio and TV broadcaster. Indeed, "Z" was around so long he might have had something to do with inventing radio. Walden coached football at Iowa State and a few other places. They did the Two Guys Named Jim radio show on Sunday nights on WHO. I never heard it because I can't remember the last time I listened to anything on the radio on Sunday night. After Zabel died, Chuck Reed took over his spot on the show. Reed had experience in Des Moines radio and TV. He used to be a KCCI sportscaster, and lately he's been doing play-by-play radio for Drake football and women's basketball games. His women's basketball gig ended a few years ago. But the Sunday night show on WHO wasn't called One Guy Named Jim and One Guy Named Chuck. It was still called Two Guys Named Jim. Anyway, someone told me the other day on Free Pie Day at Village Inn that the show went off the air this summer. No reason was given for the cancellation, but my guess is that not enough people were listening to it or the show wasn't generating enough advertising money. Perhaps both. A guy at our table also said he thinks Reed won't be back to do Drake football play-by-play this season. But I'll let Logue do the digging on that one. I've got other stuff to do these days.

Chuck Reed. Photo courtesy of Twitter.