RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Be Careful Out There

By RON MALY

Even though I live in a state famous for its farms, I know little or nothing about them.

I have visited just 2 or 3 Iowa farms in my
entire life.

One visit was when I was kid, the other 2 were when I was an adult.

I enjoyed all of the visits, especially one when I was an adult.  I liked the serenity associated with the farms.

I also happen to own a T-shirt with the words "AMERICA NEEDS FARMERS" on the front, and I wear it proudly.

I certainly know how important farms are to this state. Lots and lots of food is produced on them.

That said, I also know farms can be very dangerous.

As a kid, I  would hear gruesome stories about farmers dying when their tractors overturned on them.

I once was told about a farmer being killed when he gored by a bull he owned. 

Before I get too deep into this, I want to say I realize that there are plenty of dangers in Iowa's cities and towns, too.

I know people are getting killed by guns, knives and cars every day and every night.

I guess I began thinking about farm tragedies  when I heard news reports about a horrible accident this week on an Iowa farm.

One man was killed and one was injured while they were repairing a tractor.

The tractor somehow slipped into gear and ran over both men.

One man was pronounced dead at the scene. The other man was taken to a hospital with injuries.

Terrible.

Once I began thinking about this subject, I began doing some research.  On the Internet, Brady Preston Gronlund PC writes that the most common types of serious farm mishaps are:

Tractor overturn deaths. Each year approximately 100 U.S. farmers are killed when their tractors roll over while being used.

Farm structure falls. Many farmers suffer serious injuries in falls from grain bins, ladders, haymows or other farm buildings.

Farm machine entanglements.  Farmers can be seriously maimed, disfigured or killed when they  become caught in farm machinery such as augers.

Suffocation accidents. Farm workers may become trapped in grain bins or silos where they are suffocated. Others may become trapped in enclosed spaces that do not have proper oxygen levels or that are contaminated with silo gas or manure gas.

I realize that none of that is pleasant reading.

Now I'm sorry I got into this subject.

Next time I promise I'll write about movies, football or My Neighbor Al.

Meanwhile, be careful out there--whether you live on a farm or in the city.