RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, June 5, 2017

39-22 Hawkeye Season Ends


By RON MALY


I don't usually put this kind of stuff on this website, but I'll make an exception today.
I guess Iowa's weather-delayed NCAA regional tournament baseball game against Houston finished too late last night to make it into this morning's paper.
At the risk of my readers wondering if I'm trying to turn this into something resembling a newspaper, I'll inform you that the Hawkeyes' remarkable season is over, thanks to a 7-5 loss to Houston in the double-elimination tournament.

Fourth-seeded Iowa defeated top-seeded Houston, 6-3, earlier in the tournament.
The Hawkeyes finished with a 39-22 record. Not exactly College World Series-type stuff, but pretty darn good for a team from this part of the country that's always fighting weather problems in the spring when the Houstons and Texas A&Ms of the world are rolling up victories.