RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

I'm Not Sure UNI Could Beat Dowling


My neighbor Al, the health nut, came over at mid-morning for a cup of Italian Dark Roast, so that gave me a chance to congratulate him and his Northern Iowa Panthers for their
football victory last week. "Best team in the state, obviously," Al said. "Not so fast, Al," I countered. "I saw Dowling beat Valley last Friday at Drake Stadium, and I'm not sure UNI could beat the Maroons. I think the Dowling coaches do a better job of recruiting than UNI."  "You're probably right about that," Al said. "The good thing is, we won't have to play Dowling,". "Anything else new?" I asked Al. "Not much," he said. "I was getting some groceries at Hy-Vee a few days ago, though, and that's where I read the paper, of course. I canceled my subscription a long time ago.  I noticed that there was a letter to the editor that ripped Daniel P. Finney, the clown reporter who goes by phony names sometimes when he's pissed off at his bosses. "What did the letter say?" I asked Al. "Oh, it pointed out that Finney didn't know what he was writing about when he did a story on what it costs to go to college in the state of Iowa," Al answered. "I'm glad you read the letter, not me," I said. "I long ago quit paying attention to anything people like Finney write. Actually, maybe the story was written by someone using Finney's name or one of his phony names. You're getting too deep for me on this crap. Have another cup of Dark Roast, and don't tell me when you read the paper at Hy-Vee again."