RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Bob Devaney Rolled Over In His Grave Today

By RON MALY


I have absolutely nothing against Nebraska.

Great state.

Great people.

Great university in Lincoln.

One of my sons and one of my daughters-in-law have degrees from the University of Nebraska.

One of my grandsons will earn his degree from Nebraska next month.

His wife already has her degree from the university.

I have a granddaughter who is a sophomore at the University of Nebraska now.

I have a number of wonderful, intelligent relatives and friends who live in Nebraska and Iowa, and are huge Cornhusker football fans.

But, for a minute or two, I'd like to write about Nebraska's 2016 team..

And I don't want to upset any of those relatives and friends in Nebraska and Iowa while doing it.

I saw the Cornhuskers play Iowa on the tube today, and came away wondering what in the name of Crab Orchard, Nebraska has happened to their once-mighty program?

This was one of the worst Nebraska teams I've ever seen, and I've seen plenty of 'em over the years.

The Hawkeyes, with a big-play offense that completely befuddled a Nebraska defense that used to pulvervize and otherwise manhandle the opposition, sliced and diced the Huskers, 40-10, in a gala regular-season finale at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City.

And, yes, I'm giving Kirk Ferentz and his Iowa players lots of credit for making it happen.

It wasn't just Nebraska's inept football that was the reason for the rout.

In my newspaper days, I covered lots and lots of Nebraska football games.

I was in Memorial Stadium in Lincoln so many times they almost named not only a seat, but an entire row, in the press box after me.


The best of the Nebraska juggernauts I covered were coached by Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne.

I preferred Devaney, who consented to a long one-on-one interview with me one day in Lincoln in the middle of a very good season.

The only thing Devaney [pictured] didn't like about my questions was the one I asked about his salary.

Coaches don't especially like it when sportswriters ask 'em about the millions of dollars they're paid.

Devaney, who won a ton of games and a couple of national championships at Nebraska, has been dead since 1997.

He's buried in Lincoln, and I'm sure he was rolling over in his grave when someone relayed today's final score to him.

When Devaney heard it, he probably said something like, "Who the hell is Mike Riley and how soon can you run his ass out of Lincoln?"

Devaney used to talk like that.

Especially when he was alive.

Mike Riley is the coach of the sorry excuse for a football team that showed up for today's game in Iowa City.

This wasn't even the worst drubbing the Huskers have taken this season.

Mike Ebbing, a former sportswriter who is a friend of mine, reminded me that Ohio State hung a 62-3 haymaker on Nebraska earlier this month.

Despite that, the Huskers somehow went into today's game ranked No. 16 nationally.

Don't ask he how or why.

Also, don't get me wrong.

I don't mind it that Nebraska doesn't have a very good team this season.

I like it that the Hawkeyes won big.

Nebraska is still a fine state, the people who live there are fine people and the university in Lincoln is a wonderful institution.

I'm sure the folks who are Nebraska fans aren't feeling very good about their football program in the wake of today's blowout.

I sure don't want to act like I'm rubbing it in.

Don't forget, I covered an Iowa team that lost all 11 games it played in a season many moons ago.

I know how it feels.