RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

No Such Thing As a One-Day Holiday Or Birthday

By RON MALY

One of the beautiful things about my family is that there's no such thing as a one-day holiday or a one-day birthday.

Holidays and birthdays in this outfit go on and on.

Hey, one year I had 6 or 7 birthday parties, but had to add just a year to my age.

Holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, the Fourth of July and Labor Day never end either.

We just keep celebrating, moving from one home to another, one smoked, roasted or fried turkey, one baked ham, one champagne cake, one apple pie to another.

I'm pretty sure we had our last Thanksgiving of 2016 late this afternoon at Kevin and Donna's house.

The first Thanksgiving get-together was Wednesday night, and the celebrating of the turkey-and-all-the-fixin's just kept going Thursday, Friday and today.

Of course, you can't have a Maly gathering without pictures.

One with Ron and Maxine and grandchildren Nate and Megan [Kevin and Donna's kids] is included here.

I know one thing. Today's Thanksgiving bash at Kevin and Donna's beat any football game that was on TV.

Before leaving for Kevin and Donna's, I watched the entire Ohio State-Michigan game that was played in Columbus, Ohio.

In a game in which it seemed neither team wanted to win, Ohio State finally prevailed in 2 overtimes, 30-27.


I watched both teams keep screwing up in their final regular-season game of the season.

I mean, it was one mistake after another, one failed field goal after another.

For a while, the Buckeyes and Wolverines threatened to set collegiate football back 75 years with the ridiculous way they were performing.

Consequently, I am saying right now that I think Iowa, which walloped Nebraska, 40-10, in a regular-season finale yesterday in Iowa City, is currently the best team in the Big Ten.

The Hawkeyes have already beaten Michigan, and I fully believe they'd defeat Ohio State, too, if the Buckeyes were on their schedule.

I know Penn State did a number on Iowa a few weeks ago, but Kirk Ferentz's team has come a long way since then.

I like the Hawkeyes over the Nittany Lions now.

I know none of us can do anything to improve 

Iowa's 8-4 record, but I'm staying with the belief that the Hawkeyes are the best in the BigTen right now.