RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

The Christmas Season Has Officially Started

By RON MALY


The Christmas season began for me tonight.

The official Christmas season, I mean.


Oh, sure, I know Younkers and Von Maur have had decorated Christmas trees in their stores since Labor Day.

But that's only meant to spur people into spending money.

Department stores are department stores.

They want your dollars.

It's difficult for me to get in the Christmas spirit when it's 85 degrees outdoors  and the malls are air conditioned.

Anyway, the Christmas season officially began for me when the Southwestern Community College choir from Creston came to Mount Olive Lutheran Church in Des Moines to sing Christmas music.

The weather cooperated.  A combination of snow and rain was falling when I drove to the church.

That, plus the cold wind, made it feel like Christmas.

The Southwestern chamber choir performed such numbers as Carol of the Bells, O Magnum Mysterium, Eljah Rock,  plus the more familiar stuff like Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, I'll Be Home for Christmas, Silver Bells, O Holy Night and Silent Night.

The audience [and it was large] joined the choir in the singing of Silent Night.

That's the one that really gets to me.

Like I wrote earlier, the Christmas season has officially started for me.

Look for me to be sitting on Santa's knee at the mall any day now.