RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

My neighbor Al, the health nut, rang the doorbell late this afternoon. "You got a cup of Italian Dark Roast?" Al asked. "Sure," I said. "Kind of late in the day for you to be drinking strong coffee, isn't it?" "Well, I've had an interesting day,"Al said. "I spent part of the afternoon at my doctor's office, trying to get a prescription for blood pressure medicine." "Al, I didn't know you had high blood pressure," I said. "You've always bragged to me about how good your blood pressure is." "Yeah, I know," Al said. "But I was reading on the Internet that hlood pressure pills may slow Alzheimer's Disease in people. I'm not getting any younger, of course, and I sure as hell don't want to get Alzheimer's. So I figure if I take blood pressure pills maybe I won't get it. It can't be just any old blood pressure pill, though. It's gotta be an ACE Inhibitor." "So did the doctor give you a prescription?" I asked. "Not yet," Al said. "He said he hasn't heard about the medical study that said blood pressure pills slow the progression of Alzheimer's. "'So check with me next week,'" he said. I gave Al his cup of Italian Dark Roast. "Now let's get to the important stuff," I told him. "I just heard that the Cubs managed to unload Alfonso Soriano on the Yankees. The only trouble is the Cubs have to pay Soriano the rest of his salary this season and next season." "Good," Al said. "I never did like Soriano as a Cub."