RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Ii'm In Full Agreement With Ex-Drake Basketball Player and Assistant Coach Dan Callahan On This One--Bob Tealer Deserves To Be a 'Double D' Award Winner At the University



Whenever I receive mail from Dan Callahan, I'm sure of a couple of things:
 

1. Callahan is still doing well.
Dan Callahan

 

2. Something regarding Drake basketball is the subject of the mail.
 

Callahan is a former Drake player and assistant coach. He wasn't just any assistant coach, either. He was a member of Maury John's staff when the Bulldogs had a 26-5 record and finished third in the 1969 NCAA tournament at Louisville.

Callahan should have been named Drake's head coach when John left for Iowa State, but that's a column for another day. 

Dan is now retired and lives in Sioux City. He maintains a strong interest in collegiate basketball---especially Drake basketball
 

He's in his 70s now, and one of his goals is to get former Drake player Bob Tealer, who played for the Bulldogs in the 1957-58 and 1958-59 seasons, recognition as a "Double D" Award winner at the university.
 

In a letter to Drake athletic department official John Brown, Callahan wrote:
 

"I'm sure Bob Tealer's experience at Drake took place before you were born. The reason [this letter] is so late in coming is because no one thought of the nomination process. We are still in the ballgame because we have a living witness, Paul Morrison, who was Drake's sports information director, when Tealer played.

"I forwarded to Paul the recommendation on Feb. 17, 2013. I thought this would be the process until I received the 'Bulldog Sports Update.' I found out there is a proper procedure. I am hopeful that Bobby Tealer will be considered a serious candidate. We are not getting any younger. Ask Paul Morrison [who now is 96 years of age].
 

"Bobby would have scored more points in his first season [when I was the point guard]. I tried to throw him the ball, but Red Murrell would intercept it and, of course, score..."

I have never met Bob Tealer. He played before I began paying any attention to Drake basketball.
 

But I'm a big fan of Dan Callahan, and when he says Bob Tealer or anyone else deserves a Drake "Double D" Award, I'm all for it.
 

I'll be on hand the night when Tealer gets his award at the Knapp Center. I'll be hanging around Callahan and Tealer, hoping some of their basketball savvy rubs off on me.
 

Great hearing from you, Dan.