RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, June 21, 2013

In reference to Turner Classic Movies, the TV network I mentioned a few hours ago in the previous column, I just finished watching The Outlaw. That was the movie from 1943 that starred Jane Russell, one of a sizable number of women who became famous in Hollywood for having very large chests and very small acting skills. I recall as a kid hearing about The Outlaw, and the fact that someone my age shouldn't be watching it. My parents took me to a lot of movies when I was young, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see The Outlaw the first time around. But I recall watching it in re-runs. As long as it was on TCM again this morning, I decided to watch it. It was raining at the time, so that wiped out any chance of doing yard work. I guess looking at Jane Russell's chest on TV will beat using Weed B Gon any day of the week, rain or no rain. By the way, compared to what's on movie and TV screens these days, The Outlaw is pretty tame stuff. Heck, you can turn on ABC-TV at 7 p.m. and see more R-rated programming [or what should be R-rated] than what was in The Outlaw. Cable TV is doing daily re-runs of Friends, the NBC show that was so popular in the late-1990s and early-2000s, and The Outlaw couldn't hold a candle to it when it comes to the mention of sex. I never saw Friends when it was first around [I guess I was covering too many basketball games in those days], but I've been catching up with it via the re-runs. Like I tell people, each segment lasts 30 minutes, and perhaps 10 minutes consist of commercials. That leaves 20 minutes for the show, which was targeted at the 20- and 30-something crowd. Of those 20 minutes, 19 1/2 minutes are devoted to talking about sex. Not so much doing it, but talking about it.

Jane Russell in The Outlaw