RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Idiotic


By RON MALY

On one of my other websites, I point out another reason for the circulation freefall at the paper. There was some garbage on page 2 of the Sunday opinion section this week that was critical of the Iowa High School Athletic Association and Valley High
School of West Des Moines because of the Tigers' recent 88-0 football victory over Thomas Jefferson of Council Bluffs. All of my kids are Valley graduates, and I have grandchildren there now. I have a grandson who is a member of the Tigers' outstanding football team. I have no time for the idiotic "thistle" aimed at Valley because of its superior football facilities and its 2013 team. For years, a strange resentment and jealousy of Valley and its academic and athletic facilities has existed at the paper--to the point where coverage of the Tigers' games has consisted of one or two paragraphs, even when the team has been winning state championships under coach Gary Swenson. In my opinion, Valley is the best high school in the state and one of the best in the midwest. No one at the school should have to apologize for an 88-0 football victory. Instead of pointing thistles at Valley, the paper should be wondering what the hell is wrong with the football programs inside the city of Des Moines. The Des Moines schools are so bad in football that I think it's a waste of time for Valley, Dowling and the other suburban teams to play them. Here's some of what I wrote in the column on the other website:  "What the paper should be more concerned about than 88-0 high school scores is what to do with programs in its own backyard. By that, I mean the lousy football being played at Des Moines schools such as North, Lincoln, Hoover, East and Roosevelt. Those programs are embarrassing. The best football in the state is being played in the suburbs--at Dowling, Valley, Southeast Polk, Urbandale and Johnston. I'd rather see a league made up of those schools, along with Ames and Indianola. As far as I'm concerned, you can forget the teams in Council Bluffs and Sioux City." By the way, I hope Valley wins tonight's class 4-A playoff game, 88-0, and that no one on either team is injured.