RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Keeping My iPad Mini Battery Charged


By RON MALY

My neighbor Al, the health nut, rang the doorbell at 8 o'clock this morning. 

I was wearing just my boxer shorts at that time of day, of course. 

"You got a cup of Dark Roast?" Al asked.  

"It's that kind of morning, I guess," I said to Al.  

"Yeah," he answered, "I've already been to Hy-Vee to read the morning paper, but that was worthless." 

"Why was it worthless, Al?" I asked. 

"Because I wanted to see who Valley plays in the first round of the high school playoffs, and there wasn't anything in the paper about it," Al explained. "No playoff matchups at all." 

"Does that surprise you?" I asked. "They've got early deadlines down there now, you know."

"No, I didn't know that," Al said. "All I know is that I drove all the way to Sioux City last night to see Valley pulverize Sioux City East, 42-7, and I expected to be able to find out who the Tigers are matched up against in the playoffs Wednesday night." 

"They play Sioux City North at Valley Stadium," I told Al. "I saw it on my iPad mini this morning, courtesy of the KMA in Shenandoah website. The way the pairings look to me, Valley would play Johnston in the second round, Ames in the next round and Dowling after that." 

"Don't assume too much," Al said. 

"I'm not," I said. "All I'm assuming is that Valley is playing its best football of the season right now, and if they can keep it up, I think they can make it to the UNI-Dome for at least the semifinal round." 

"We'll see," said Al, a longtime Valley fan. "Keep the battery to your iPad mini charged up."