RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, August 29, 2014

I don't read much of anything in the paper these days. Sometimes I'll go a week or more without seeing it. But it seems that every time I pick it up, there's a story about a football game I covered in my 40 years at the place. Lately, the paper has been running a series of stories about the biggest football games played by Iowa and Iowa State. It's good stuff. It seems that every time I read one of those stories, it's about a game I covered. More often than not, quotes from the players and coaches that I got in the locker rooms and/or interview rooms are included in the stories. It's nice to re-;live those games and the postgame happiness of the Hawkeye and Cyclone coaches and players. An added feature that might contribute even more historical significance to those stories, though, would be for the paper to write something like this: "After the game, Iowa coach Forest Evashevski told Des Moines Register sportswriter Bert McGrane, Gus Schrader of the Cedar Rapids Gazette, John O'Donnell of the Davenport Democrat and other journalism heavyweights, 'I couldn't be more proud of a group of Hawkeye players than I am today after this victory over Notre Dame." Or: "Following the Cyclones' mammoth upset of Oklahoma, coach Jim Walden told Des Moines Register sportswriter Ron Maly and a roomful of other reporters , "I was sick in bed with the flu throughout most of Friday and into Saturday morning. My players found a way to cure my sickness and do some wonderful things for Iowa State's football program by shocking Oklahoma." Or this: "Following the Cyclones' supreme effort, coach Earle Bruce told Des Moines Register sportswriter Buck Turnbull and others in the interview room from papers in Nebraska, Oklahoma and Kansas that it was a "brilliant example of how a football team on a mission can stun the football world."


Forest Evashevski. Photo courtesy of Google.