RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, August 29, 2014

I've written about Daniel P. Finney, a man who obviously has a lot of problems, in these columns a number of times. Hopefully this will be the final time. The troubled Finney, who works for the paper, wrote the other day that he has twice been in an emergency room with suicidal thoughts. I'm sorry to hear that. Like I said, I've learned over the years that Finney has lots of problems--suicidal thoughts among them, I guess. Finney first came to my attention a few years ago when one of his friends forwarded a Christmas card [more accurately a Christmas letter] that said he thought he had no future in the newspaper business and intended to become a high school teacher. I'm fairly certain Finney also had some information in the letter about his hobby of collecting comic books. All of this on the heels of Finney losing his job at a newspaper in St. Louis. He had created a phony name and was criticizing his bosses at the paper under that name in what he regarded as a personal website. His bosses in St. Louis didn't particularly like Finney's manner of critricizing them, and proceeded to tell him he was no longer welcome in the newsroom. Despite thinking his journalism career was finished, the paper here gave him another chance. The next thing I knew, Finney was covering high school football games in Des Moines for the paper. Then he for some reason was named the editor of the Indianola paper [which is owned by the Des Moines Register], but he didn't last long there either. He found a way to get dumped. Now he's writing again for the paper here. I don't read anything he writes. I don't know if anyone else does either. The Internet says people at Gannett Co. papers, like the one here, will soon have to re-apply for their jobs. I can't believe Finney would be re-hired again, but who knows? All I know is that, hopefully, this is the last time I write anything about Finney. I won't mention his name again unless someone points out to me that Finney has done some other dumb thing that pisses me off.