RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, July 30, 2015

I guess the bicycle trip across Iowa is over for another year. The one they call RAGBRAI, I mean. I passed it up for the 42nd-straight time, and instead rode my $20 no-gears, no-frills bike around my neighborhood one afternoon. I didn't pay much attention to the 2015 version of the week-long bike ride, but I began hearing some stories about it when the riders were in the eastern part of the state. I'll be honest, I never spent much time thinking about what people who are required to ride 60 or 70 miles a day on bicycles do to empty their bladders during the trip. But I hear that some folks who live in our state [mostly in rural areas] are upset because riders don't mind using their front yards or corn or bean fields as areas where they can pee. Someone told me that a number of riders [both men and women] got off their bikes and either stood or squatted to relieve themselves in plain sight of others during the morning and afternoon hours. I used to hear that peeing in public wasn't a wise thing to do do, and I kind of feel that way myself. But I guess bicycle riders don't share my view on such matters. I'm going to ask My Neighbor Al what he thinks about this pissing -in-public stuff when he gets back from his fishing trip.