RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Life is fragile. You know it, I know it. I'm reminded of it far too often these days. The death of some guy I saw playing football or basketball many years ago is announced. Some guy I hadn't thought of for years. Some guy I figured would live forever. Huh-uh. Like I said, life is fragile. Death happens. The most recent death is that of Darryl Dawkins, someone I saw on TV break NBA backboards with his thunderous dunks in the 1970s. By the way, that was about the last time I watched an NBA game on the tube. Anyway, Dawkins died of a heart attack today at 58 years of age. Dawkins went to the Philadelphia 76ers directly from high school, then proceeded to shatter backboards for 14 seasons. "More than anything Darryl accomplished in his basketball career as the inimitable 'Chocolate Thunder,' he was most proud of his role and responsibility as a husband father," his family said in a statement released by the NBA and printed by CBS Sports.com.

Darryl dawkins. Photo courtesy of Google.