RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, November 21, 2015

I'm Picking Iowa To Win the Big Ten Championship

By RON MALY

I'm well aware that the East Division of the Big Ten Conference is considered stronger than the West Division by those who pay considerable

attention to major-college football. 

Indeed, Michigan State, Ohio State and Michigan of the East Division play outstanding football. 

But I firmly believe that Iowa, the best team in the West Division, has an excellent chance of beating Michigan State in the conference title game Dec. 5 in Indianapolis.

The Spartans will be in the title game if they defeat Penn State in their regular-season finale next week.

I know Michigan State is a very good, well-coached team. 

I watched the Spartans on TV today when they upset Ohio State at Ohio Stadium, 17-14.

Frankly, I couldn't believe how poorly Ohio State played in its 2015 home finale. 

Or how poorly Michigan State made the Buckeyes play.

But I also saw the Spartans lose at Nebraska earlier in the season, and I think Iowa can beat them in the Big Ten championship game, advance to the national playoffs and perform well there. 

This is an outstanding Hawkeye team. 

It's a group that plays well on both sides of the ball, it is a team with wonderful chemistry, and it is the best team Kirk Ferentz [the dean of Big Ten coaches] has had. 

Anyone who overlooks Iowa in the Big Ten championship game is foolish. 

The Hawkeyes are for real, and they improve every week.

 I'm picking them to win Dec. 5.