RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Murray Wier, The Whirling Dervish


By RON MALY

I've written about Murray Wier in the past.

He was a standout player for coach Pops
Murray Wier
Harrison's Hawkeye basketball team when I saw my first game at  Iowa Fieldhouse in the 1940s.


I had ridden in a Crandic [that stood for Cedar Rapids and Iowa City] rail car from--you're right--  Cedar Rapids to Iowa City with two other people to see the game.

Murray Wier, who stood no taller than 5 feet 10 inches, was known as a "whirling dervish" on basketball courts.

The dictionary describes a whirling dervish as "a person whose behavior resembles a rapid, spinning object."

I never wrote much about whirling dervishes, but I think Bert McGrane or Grantland Rice did.

Whatever, Murray Wier played an excellent basketball game that first night I saw him when I was 12 years of age, and Pops Harrison's Hawkeyes beat coach Piggy Lambert's Purdue team [which probably had no whirling dervish on its roster].

I've had fond memories of Murray Wier's playing ability ever since. He deserved to be the consensus all-American he became at Iowa.

Sorry to inform you that Murray Wier died today at the age of 89 at his home in Georgetown, TX.

I have my doubts that there will ever be a whirling dervish to match him.