RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, May 20, 2016

The Old Porcupine

By RON MALY

Every once in a while, I like to watch western movies from the 1940s and 1950s on TV.

As a kid, I saw a lot of those films  at the Iowa, Rialto, State and Strand when those theaters were flourishing in Cedar Rapids.

For all I know, a few of Gabby's movies might have even made it to the much classier Paramount theater on Third Avenue in those years.


If they did, I probably paid my dime or 16 cents at the box office to see 'em.

Gabby Hayes

Whatever, it's fun to see the films again on the small screen, where they're just as good as they were before I knew what TV was.

I turned on the Turner Classic Movies channel for a few minutes this morning, and the first guy I heard talking on the film that was showing was Gabby Hayes.

Great timing.


Ol' Gabby was never a John Wayne type in the westerns, even though he appeared in 15 Wayne movies throughout his career.

Gabby was the sidekick, the guy who made people laugh, the butt of the jokes  in Wyoming or Kansas or Montana or wherever the shooting and cattle rustling was going on.

George Francis "Gabby" Hayes' voice was very recognizable in any movie in which he appeared.

So was his face.

Clark Gable he wasn't.

But you didn't have to see his face to know it was Gabby when he talked.

On this morning's western, the name of which was Trail Street, Gabby's film name was Billy.

And Billy was quite the cowboy.

Someone in the movie called him "Old Coyote."

He called someone "Horned Toad."

Later, someone called him "Old Porcupine."

It turned out that the 1947 film Trail Street came near the end of Gabby's movie career. 

I hope my friend Bob Modersohn reads this.

He and I used to occasionally laugh about Gabby Hayes if we weren't eating buckwheat pancakes at Boswell's on the way to doing a helluva Sunday feature in northeast Iowa, or shooting baskets at some schoolyard along Highway 6 on our way back from finding a story at the Ak-Sar-Ben horse track in Omaha.