RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, September 2, 2013

And a Very Happy Labor Day To You, Too


By RON MALY

My neighbor Al, the health nut and rabid Northern Iowa football fan, won't like this. I received an
e-mail this morning from a reader who calls himself  "Longtime Viking." Longtime writes: "Ron, I've got it figured out that my Grand View Vikings will, for the first time, win the mythical collegiate state football championship. They got the season off to a rollicking start last week by beating Drake. Then Northern Iowa pulled off its big upset Saturday at Iowa State. This week, Drake will come away with an even bigger shocker by winning at UNI. Later, Iowa State will beat Iowa. After all of that, Grand View will be the only unbeaten team in games involving our state's teams. Consequently, the Vikings will be state champs." All I can say, Longtime, is that I hope you didn't stay up all night thinking about that scenario. If you did, maybe you had one too many Coronas. But great hearing from you, and have a wonderful Labor Day. As for my holiday plans, four of us are having what could either be labeled a late breakfast or early lunch at the Drake Diner,
followed by a trip to the Varsity Theater to watch Woody Allen's new movie, Blue Jasmine. I'll decide if Cate Blanchett turns in an Academy Award performance. Happy Labor Day to everyone.