RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Don't Blame Me

At least Valley's band performance was outstanding



By RON MALY

Don't blame me for what happened last night at Valley Stadium. We had to make an early exit from the Valley-Southeast Polk football game because Chloe and Claire were already at the house for their visit and the Tigers seemed comfortably in control of the game with a 14-6 lead at halftime. Family always comes first, of course. Southeast Polk seemed more prepared to play when the game began, but Valley seized the momentum later in the first quarter, and appeared headed to its second victory in three games. It was the type of game in which Valley coach Gary Swenson seems to do his best job. I mean, when the team isn't getting it done, he does. The guy hasn't won five state championships by accident. But nothing of that magnitude happened  in this game. Southeast Polk outplayed Valley in the last half, and I guess Swenson got outcoached, too. As the old coaches used to say, I guess Southeast Polk wanted it more. There was no excuse for the Rams' 24-21 victory, which was attained with a field goal when the numerals :04 were on the clock at the south end of the field. Like I said, don't blame me. Maybe, just maybe, the Tigers aren't as good as I thought. But did I tell you, the Valley band was great, as usual.

The football's showing wasn't so hot