RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, November 11, 2013

An Update from Al

My neighbor Al, the health nut, was busy most of the weekend, so I didn't have the chance to get any updates from him until today. Just as I figured, Al was ringing my doorbell early this morning, in search of a cup of Dark Roast  Al and the missus are big Valley High School football fans, and I knew they had made
the trip to Ames last Friday night for the Tigers' quarterfinal round playoff game. Al called me on his cell phone while driving back from the game, and was wild about what had taken place. "Tyus Mason ran for 478 yards and Valley kicked the hell out of Ames, 63-20," Al said.. "That doesn't surprise you, does it, Al?"  I said. "Not at all," Al answered. "Ames played a soft regular-season schedule, and was overrated. Valley is playing the best football in the state right now, and could have named the score against Ames. When I went to Hy-Vee to read about the Valley win in the paper, I saw that they gave Mason credit for only 470 yards, which still was the second-highest total in the state. Coach Gary Swenson had Mason out of the game in the final minutes, but now I wish he'd kept him in there to break the record." "But then he'd have been accused of running up the score by the editorial writers at the paper, wouldn't he?" I said. "Hell, I doubt Swenson or anyone else connected with Valley football even read the paper," Al said. "Why would they bother to read those one- and two-paragraph stories about Valley in the paper? All they've got down there are Valley-haters and West Des Moines-haters. They don't even like Dowling very much. Dowling is No. 2 behind Valley on their 'don't-like' list."  "You've got a point, Al," I said. "I'm just glad Valley will be playing Dowling in the 4-A playoff semifinals Friday night at the UNI-Dome at Cedar Falls," Al said. "I know a kid on the Valley team who told me the players have been waiting all season for a rematch with Dowling at the Dome. The Valley kids lost to Dowling during the regular season, and they can't wait to play 'em again." "I imagine you'll be going to the game, right" I asked. "Darn right," Al said. "Me and the missus are planning to make a weekend out of it. "I've got reservations at the Hampton Inn." I asked Al if the atmosphere was good for Valley's easy victory at Ames. "Outstanding!" he said. "There were lots of fans from both schools, and I'd guess that there were more there from Valley than from Ames.  The Ames fans began going home during Valley's onslaught in the last half, which turned the game into a mismatch. The only negative all night was the ridiculous public address announcer from Ames. He kept urging the Ames fans to make noise, even when there was no reason for them to make noise. Valley took the Ames fans right out of the game. I have no idea who that p.a. announcer was. For all I know, he could've been the biology teacher at Ames High School. Or maybe he's got a kid on the team. All I know is, he sounded like a sophomore cheerleader. I've  been to a lot of professional, college and high school football games in my life, but I've never heard a clown like that. Real bush-league. He'd wear thin with me if I had to listen to that guy more than once."  I said, "Forget it, Al. Public address announcers don't decide football games. Valley proved that Friday night. Good luck to the Tigers against Dowling. I'll wait for your report."  "Got another cup of Dark Roast?" Al said.