RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I Already Think It's a Bad Fit

Everyone and his brother [and sister, too] is saying someone who goes by the handle Rick Renteria will be introduced tomorrow as the Chicago Cubs' new manager. Rick Renteria--now that's a baseball no-name if I ever heard one. He's been the bench coach for
the less-than-spectacular San Diego Padres lately, which means he'll fit right in with the lousy weather and mean-spirited, beer-drinking fans at Wrigley Field. Sure. Whatever, I wish Rick Renteria well. But I'm certainly not betting on him succeeding. He's getting a three-year contract. I'm guessing he'll be gone in two. Or less. The college of coaches couldn't do it at Wrigley. Dusty Baker couldn't do it, Mike Quade couldn't do it and Dale Sveum was the biggest flop of all.  I hope Rick Renteria is the answer, and so does Cubs president Theo Epstein. Indeed, if Renteria is a failure, I hope Epstein goes out the door with him in a couple of years.