RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

I have no idea how Ray Giacoletti is going to do in his second season as Drake's basketball coach. For that matter, I'm fairly certain Giacoletti or Spike, the school mascot, couldn't accurately predict the Bulldogs' future either. The last day of September is never a good time to start wondering what a team with a lot of new players will be doing in January, February and March. All I can say is, I'll be disappointed if the Bulldogs don't win 20 or more games in the 2014-2015 season. I'm not kidding when I say that. Heck, I thought Giacoletti's team would win 20 last season. The Bulldogs had a 10-3 record after putting it to Evansville by 28 points in their Missouri Valley Conference opener on New Year's Day. Then, for one reason or several, the roof fell in. Either Giacoletti had no idea how tough the Missouri Valley Conference was, or his players weren't up to the challenge. They won only five more games, finished 15-16 overall and 6-12 in the league. I was disappointed in those numbers. Records of 15-16 and 6-12 won't cut it at Drake, which needs to win to attract fans to the Knapp Center. The team had a home attendance average of 3,726, and that's not good. The folks at Drake are excited about a new practice court at the university. I wish I could share their excitement. But I never get revved up about practice courts. I've never known a practice court that won a game or got a coach a better contract. We'll see what happens. Like I wrote earlier, there are lots of new players at Drake, but not all of them will be able to play in the upcoming season because some have to satisfy NCAA transfer rules. Check in with me again on about Feb. 1.Drake's Valley schedule will be well under way then, and I'll have better handle on things.