RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Forget What Some Nutcase Writes About Wanting the Iowa-Iowa State Football Series Called Off. Frankly, I Like What the Chicago Cubs' Ernie Banks Would Always Say: 'Let's Play 2'



By RON MALY


I shared a pot of Italian Dark Roast this morning with My Neighbor Al, the Health Nut.  

Al had just gotten back from Hy-Vee, where he reads the paper.  

"I saw that they're writing about whether the Iowa-Iowa State football series should be called off after the present contract expires," Al told me. 

"Who's writing crap like that?" I asked Al. 

"Oh, I think it was in My 2 Cents Worth or something,"  Al said. 

"Listen, Al, those people who write stuff in My 2 Cents Worth are idiots," I commented.  "They can be idiots because they never have to use their real names. 

"The paper lets them use phony names like Joe from the East Side, Daniel P. Finney In the Newsroom and Pissed Off In Schleswig.

"Besides, Al, anyone who thinks the Iowa-Iowa State football series should be called off -- whether he or she writes it in My 2 Cents Worth or not -- is an idiot. 


"I know all about that series because I covered a lot of Iowa-Iowa State games after the series was revived in the Bob Commings/Earle Bruce coaching days back in the previous century. 

"As far as I'm concerned, the Iowa-Iowa State game is the best one on the schedules of both teams more often than not. 

"It sure beats the heck out of Iowa-Ball State and Iowa State-Toledo.

"The stadiums at Iowa and Iowa State are full when the Hawkeye-Cyclone games are played--something that's not always the case for other games these days. 

"I absolutely love the emotion of the series. I loved the emotion in Kinnick Stadium many years ago when Commings' Iowa team, with his son, Bob, Jr., at quarterback, upset Bruce's Iowa State team. 

"The Cyclones wore the words "BEAT IOWA" on the front of their jerseys that day [it was Bruce's idea], and it riled up the Hawkeye players. Consequently, they played over their heads. 

"I loved the emotion when Bret Bielema, then an Iowa linebacker, told then-Iowa State coach Jim Walden, "You're a big prick, and I loved kicking your ass for five seasons" after the Hawkeyes won at Kinnick. 

"I loved the emotion when Donnie Duncan, who then was Iowa State's coach, won three straight games from Iowa. 

"I loved the emotion involved when Dan McCarney, a former Iowa player and assistant coach, won five straight games in the series when he was Iowa State's coach. 

"You know what, Al? The only thing better than one Iowa-Iowa State football game every season would be two games--one in Iowa City, another in Ames.  Who says it couldn't be done?  

"That's how much value I put on this series. I hope they play each other forever. And, like Ernie Banks of the Chicago Cubs would always say, let's play two."

"I like your idea," Al said. "Pour me another cup."

                               Hawkeyes celebrate after beating Iowa State. Photo courtesy of Bill Adams/University of Iowa.