RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Let's Play 2, Part II


Another message from Richard Hayman:

Hello, Mr. Maly,

It is great to hear from you. I’ve missed our correspondence…mostly my fault, I guess. I thought I was taking a break from teaching while working on my doctorate in educational leadership, but I’ve taken on some “part-time” teaching responsibilities at the university that, naturally, are more demanding than just part-time. I still don’t know what I will be when I grow up but, I can say that as I approach my first school district superintendency, I am excited about the possibilities. Meanwhile, my baby boy has grown up into a young man. I’ve tried to talk him into letting me be his college roommate, but he’ll have nothing to do with it. The kids grow up so fast, and it has been the unexpected and overwhelmingly joyful opportunity to be a dad that has added the most meaning to my life.


I agree with Al (the Health Nut), I like your idea about Iowa-Iowa State twice per season…preferably in back-to-back weekends! That would certainly set our intrastate rivalry apart from any others. It’s actually a really good idea. I suppose some would say, “…with well over a hundred teams from which to choose, you’re crazy for playing the same team twice in a season”, and, at times, that argument would have merit. But, if both programs are competitive in their neighboring, and rival, power conferences, I think it would be just absolutely terrific. The intrigue of the second game would always be compelling.

By the way, I’ve given some more thought to my previous comments about the Beathard to Powell touchdown…and I stick to my original position. In fact, at the risk of going too far, I say that if the receiver has possession of the ball before it touches the ground, even if inadvertently stuck in his face mask, or miraculously spinning on his prostrate body, then it is a catch. When someone banks in a free throw or a 3-pointer, we don’t take those points off the board, arguing that the player didn’t really mean to do it. We say he or she got lucky. Call it slop, if you will. But, the points stay on the board. Teams have lost important basketball games on a lucky shot, but no one argues that the points should have been disallowed. That’s the way the ball bounces. When a running back impossibly eludes a horde of would be tacklers, bounced around like a pinball, unconscious on his feet, but somehow ends up in the end zone, we don’t take those points off the board and spot the ball where the runner should have been tackled. He got lucky. A kick that bounces inward through the goal posts after colliding with the upright…those points stay on the board. Even a made intentional-miss free throw…the point stays on the board. Ball never touched the ground, and the receiver had possession at the end of the play. Seems simple enough to me.

Should be an interesting ballgame this weekend. I hope C.J. stays frosty. At some point, he is going to get an opportunity to play for more than a single series. I believe he has the potential to carry this team to a new level…especially with the weapons we have this year. As ridiculous as it may sound, we possibly have two NFL-caliber quarterbacks on our two-deep. I might alternate them on a per game basis, giving my quarterback two weeks to prepare for an opponent, while giving both guys the opportunity to play that they deserve. It’s a wonderful problem to have, but it is a problem…and one that demands a creative solution. Sooner, rather than later.

Best regards,

-- richard