RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Al & The Grim Reaper

By RON MALY

My Neighbor Al, the Health Nut called fairly early this morning to ask what I've been up to.

"As little as possible," I answered. "The
weather has been lousy, so I'm pretty much hunkered down until June. I'm glad you're doing well, though."

I was aware, of course, that Al was having a wonderful winter because he's been following the basketball team representing Northern Iowa, his alma mater.

"I hope the Panthers get a high seeding in the NCAA's Big Dance, and I see no reason why they shouldn't," I said. 

I talked to Al for another couple of minutes, then asked if he wanted a cup of Italian Dark Roast to start his day.

"Thought you'd never ask," Al said. "I'll be right over." 

I knew Al had probably already been to Hy-Vee because that's where he reads the paper every morning.

He canceled his subscription two or three publishers ago.

"I see the newest publisher is bailing out, too," I mentioned to Al. 

I'd heard that some fly-by-night, do-nothing named Rick Green was pulling up stakes and moving to Cincinnati. I already wrote that somebody's got to live in Cincinnati, so everyone in Des Moines should be glad it's Green. Cincinnati and Green deserve each other. Good riddance.

Grim Reaper
As far as I'm concerned, the publisher's exit is  another sign that the Grim Reaper is making more trips than usual to the paper's newsroom these days. 

The message has been strongly sent to employees to rent, not buy.

"On one of my trips to Hy-Vee," Al said,  "I read something that Amalie Nash, the paper's executive editor and vice president for news and engagement, wrote about how things are going down there.

"It was all lies, of course. Nash was trying to convince people that the paper is putting out a better product even though more of the hired hands are getting fired or quitting."

"I didn't see that," I said. "I read very little of the paper. For my own information, what the hell does the job vice president for news and engagement involve?

"Is Nash in charge of the wedding page or something?"

"Don't ask me," Al answered. "You worked at that place for 40 years. I figured you'd know."

"I don't understand any of the terminology these days," I said.  "Big daddy, the Gannett Co., just wants to keep people, including the employees, in the dark.

"They've canned so many people at this town's paper that the whole staff can fit into a couple of phone booths now. Nash might be headed to Cincinnati any day now, too.

"The coverage is an absolute joke. The lead story on page one of the Iowa In-Depth section Sunday was written by somebody from the Dubuque Telegraph Herald.

"Most of the rest of the state news is written by the Associated Press.  Retired guys like John Carlson and Gene Raffensperger, who used to do such a great job of running the paper's news bureaus in eastern Iowa, must be throwing up every morning when they see what's going on now."

On that subject, Al said the paper has been publishing pictures of the people who presently work there, and describing what they do.

"They even talked Daniel P. Finney into taking time out from his No. 1 passion--elbowing his way into the front row of the buffet line at an all-you-can-eat restaurant--to have his picture taken," Al said. "Of course, the photographer needed a wide-angle lens to get the mug shot."

"It's too bad they don't have a decent health section at the paper," I commented. "They could write a series of stories  about Finney's enormous caloric intake, and title it "The Quickest Way To Cardiac Arrest."

"Quit talking about that idiot Finney," Al said. "You're giving my Italian Dark Roast taste a bad taste. 

"Pour me another cup, and let's talk about the Panthers."