RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

If I'm Georges Niang, I Need To Do Plenty Of Research So I Can Find Out Where I Might Be Picked In the June 25 NBA Draft. Then I'll Have To Decide Whether I Should Come Back for My Senior Season At Iowa State

By RON MALY

I'm pretending to be Georges Niang today.

I'm a 6-foot 8-inch Iowa State basketball player, and people say I'm one of the best collegiate forwards in the nation.

Georges Niang


I've already played three seasons for the Cyclones, and I've really enjoyed myself in Hilton Coliseum, other basketball arenas around the country, and on the Iowa State campus.

I play in the Big 12 Conference, which--at least until the NCAA tournament began--was regarded as the best collegiate league in America.

I'm a very friendly guy, and people like me. 

Reporters enjoy interviewing me, and I do the best I can to give them intelligent answers.

Like my teammates, I love playing at Hilton Coliseum, which historically has been one of the best arenas in the nation.

I enjoy the "Hilton Magic" atmosphere in our building as much as anyone. I think it helps me play better.

I've already had a very good career at Iowa State, if I say so myself.

I led our team in scoring with a 15.3-point average in my junior season, and my 184 rebounds ranked below only Jameel McKay's 190.

People expect me to play for Iowa State next season, but I know I have a decision to make--and I hope our fans know it, too.

Like most other collegiate basketball players, my goal has always been to play in the National Basketball Association.

Some talented players pass up their senior seasons, and make themselves eligible for the NBA draft.

I plan to do plenty of research on that matter.  

I owe that to myself.

I plan to check with Fred Hoiberg, my Iowa State coach, and others about where I might be drafted.

A lot of our games are televised by ESPN, and I've heard that the TV analysts give me rave reviews all the time.

I know they say I can pretty much do it all--score, rebound and play defense.

They like it that I'm just as dangerous with the jump shot as I am under the basket.

I guess that's call versatility.

People say I have a high basketball IQ, which is something that doesn't hurt any player when it comes to the NBA draft and the professional career that follows.

But I'm not perfect.

I've heard it said by a few know-it-alls, like at Draft Express, that I'm not the fastest player in America, that I don't play well above the rim, and that maybe my rebounding ability needs to improve if I want to be a success in the NBA.

I can't do much about the speed except to not put on any weight. I lost 25 pounds after the 2013-2014 season, and I thought playing at 230 this season helped.

But becoming more of a rebounding force, and playing better above the rim is something I maybe can improve.

One reason I came to Iowa State was because I knew Coach Hoiberg was a standout player here, and also did well in the NBA.

I know he'll help me make the big decisions that are facing me.

Our season ended earlier than all of us wanted it to end. We finished with a 25-9 record, but lost our opening NCAA tournament game to UAB, 60-59.

I didn't play particularly well against UAB.  I launched 15 shots, but made only four of them, and scored just 11 points. I had seven rebounds.

That shows you that I can have off-games. But that occasionally happens to all players at this level.

I feel badly that we lost so early in the tournament, and it's tough watching the Big Dance move along without us in it.

All of us thought we'd still be playing.

Anyway, I'll be doing my research to see if it would be a smart thing for me to make myself eligible for the NBA draft.

Some people think I'd be picked somewhere between high in the second round to the middle of the second round.

If that's the case, I'd probably decide to come back to Iowa State for my senior season.

Top guys at our level of competition are always gunning to be first-round selections.

That's where the money is.

Do the draft experts think I can become a first-round pick in the future? 

I plan to find out.

The draft is June 25.

Stay tuned.