RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, June 4, 2015

I have never met T. J. Otzelberger. I probably will never meet T. J. Otzelberger. T. J. Otzelberger is an assistant basketball coach at Iowa State, and I guess he's the favorite of some people to become the successor to Fred Hoiberg as the Cyclones' head coach. For all I know, T. J. Otzelberger may have what it takes to become the successful leader of Iowa State's top-flight program. But I also know that choosing an assistant coach to become the new head coach at a successful collegiate program is asking for trouble. I remember when Dick Schultz succeeded the highly-successful Ralph Miller at Iowa a number of years ago. Schultz, who had been Miller's No. 1 assistant, was a flop in the No. 1 job. I remember when Jim Hallihan was Johnny Orr's No. 1 assistant at Iowa State. Lots of people, including Orr, wanted Hallihan to be named the successor to Johnny. Gene Smith, then the athletic director, was not among them. Smith picked Tim Floyd to be the new coach. Floyd, who had been at New Orleans University, became a huge success with the Cyclones before becoming the Chicago Bulls' coach. [Sound familiar, now that Hoiberg was named the Bulls' coach this week?]. I don't know if Jeff Hornacek, a former Iowa State player who now coaches the Phoenix Suns of the NBA, is the right guy for the Iowa State job, either. And I don't know if some lesser-known collegiate coaches could equal or surpass what Hoiberg did in Ames. But I do know that Iowa State should interview 3 or 4 other guys before settling on Otzelberger for the job. If Cyclone officials think Otzelberger is the right guy after talking with a few other candidates, then they should hire him. And, if they do hire him, I wish him well. Actually, I still haven't faced reality. I thought Hoiberg would be at Iowa State forever, and I can't believe he has taken a job in the NBA, where coaches get eaten alive.

T. J. Otzelberger