RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, June 1, 2015

I Never Thought It Would Happen

By RON MALY

I never thought Fred Hoiberg would leave Iowa State for a coaching job in the NBA.

Fred Hoiberg

I was naive enough to think Hoiberg would spend the rest of his coaching years with the Cyclones.

I thought the Fred Hoiberg/Iowa State fit was perfect.

He was a good player for the Cyclones, and a sensational coach for them.

Iowa State fans in Ames and everywhere else worshiped at his feet.

He made the transition from the NBA front office to Iowa State coach flawlessly.

In practically no time, he became of the best coaches in collegiate basketball.

I figured he would continue winning games and championships at Iowa State as long as he wanted to coach. 

Even though I'm at least somewhat surprised that Hoiberg will be the Chicago Bulls' next coach and that the NBA will be his next league, I have no doubt that he will be a huge success in his next gig.

Fred Hoiberg does not know the meaning of the word failure.

Good luck, Fred.  

I thoroughly enjoyed covering your games when you were an Iowa State player, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching your Cyclones play when you became the university's coach.

I'll miss seeing you calling the shots in Iowa State games in the future.

To me, Cyclone basketball won't be the same.