RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

I Wish Steve Prohm Well As Iowa State's New Basketball Coach. But I Don't Expect Him To Be Another Fred Hoiberg Because There's Only One Fred Hoiberg, and He's Now Coaching the Chicago Bulls Of the NBA

By RON MALY

I wish 40-year-old Steve Prohm well as Iowa State's new basketball coach.  
Steve Prohm

He appears to have the credentials necessary to have success in the Big 12 Conference, one of the very best leagues in collegiate basketball. 

However,  I do not expect him to be another Fred Hoiberg, and I hope nobody else does either.

After all, there is only one Fred Hoiberg, and he now coaches the Chicago Bulls of the National Basketball Association. 

I'm still trying to get over that. 

I wrote a lot about Hoiberg when he played at Iowa State, and I knew the man as well as anyone. 

I had no idea he would someday return to Cyclone basketball as the head coach, and would have a 115-56 record in five seasons. 

I couldn't conceive he would go from a 16-16 break-in season in 2010-2011 to records of 23-11, 23-12, 28-8 and 25-9 afterward. 

But he did, which underscores the thought that Fred Hoiberg will be a success at whatever he does in life.

I'm sure he would've preferred that his last game as the Cyclones' coach wasn't a loss to lowly Alabama-Birmingham in the opening round of the NCAA tournament, but, hey, crap like that happens. 

I guess I thought Hoiberg would be Iowa State's coach until he grew tired of putting X's and O's on blackboards and clipboards.
Fred Hoiberg


But now he's gone. 

Kansas, Iowa and the other teams he kept beating are happy. 

Steve Prohm, who has been at a place called Murray Steve in Kentucky, is the new guy in Ames.  

Like I wrote earlier, I wish him well.

But his first name isn't Fred.