RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Count On It That Talented and Hard-Working Randy Peterson Will Be Back In the Register's Sportswriting Lineup Sooner Than You Think

By RON MALY

I had a nice conversation on the phone this morning with Randy Peterson, the talented and
Randy Peterson
hard-working Des Moines Register sportswriter who suffered a compound fracture of his left leg last Thursday night in Ames. 


Peterson, a veteran writer who is as tenacious as any reporter in America when working on a column or a story for his newspaper,  was injured while performing his postgame responsibilities at Hilton Coliseum on the Iowa State campus. 

His leg was fractured while Cyclone basketball fans stormed the court following Iowa State's 83-82 victory over Iowa.

Both the tibia and fibula in his left leg were broken in the mishap.

Randy was still at Iowa Methodist Medical Center in Des Moines when I talked with him today, but he expects to be released from the hospital very soon.

"The physical therapists are doing a great job with me," he said.

Physicians obviously did a wonderful job, too.

I had a few broken bones and other medical problems myself many years ago while covering sports at the paper, and doctors always told me it would take six weeks to heal the fractures.

I always tried to beat the odds so I could get back sooner.

I know Peterson will, too.

Randy, of course, has two broken bones, so I don't know if that means he'll take longer to heal or not.

Whatever, I know he'll be back on the job sooner than people think. 

He's always been a gamer, and he'll return to the writing lineup as quickly as possible. 

I wish him the very best.