RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, February 22, 2016

More On the Sports Illustrated Screwup

An email from Mike Swan:
 
Ron,

I saw your [Feb. 19] reference to the
error in the SI article about Jarrod
Uthoff.

Not to brag (and it's about the
only way I'm going to get into
SI) but I did have a letter printed in
the national magazine in 2011.
That's pretty heady stuff for
an old-school guy like me. I
also sent the note at
the bottom of this along. 

This makes me think about how we used to
sit around before school in the high
school library and discuss all the great
sports headlines and stories of the day.
 
Finding an error in Sports Illustrated
was next to impossible. I can imagine
our shock if an error like the one in
the February 8 issue happened back then.

Dear Sports Illustrated,

In your otherwise compelling article on
Jarrod Uthoff (Reeling In The Wins),
there was, unfortunately, one error that
stood out. After Uthoff's time at the
University of Wisconsin, it said he
journeyed to Ames. Of course, he went to
the University of Iowa and Iowa City. My
fellow Iowa State fans and I certainly
know Uthoff. He torched the Cyclones 
in Hilton Coliseum for 30 points in the
first half back on December 10 in Ames. 

Fortunately, Matt Thomas and the rest of
team held him in check for only two
points in the second half of a thrilling
83-82 Iowa State win. We've certainly
enjoyed watching Uthoff since then.

Sincerely,

Michael Swan
Student Sports Media Adviser
Butler Community College
El Dorado, Kan.
 
[RON MALY'S COMMENTS-Great hearing from
former Iowan [and longtime Cyclone fan]
Mike Swan. You'd have thought Brian
Hamilton, who wrote the story on Uthoff
and the Hawkeyes for Sports Illustrated,
would've known the Iowa campus is
located in Iowa City. He worked for
newspapers in St.Paul and Chicago before
going to SI. Hamilton would no doubt
like to blame a copy editor for the
screwup in his magazine, but my guess is
there are few, if any, copy editors
still employed at the magazine anymore
after layoffs, firings and buyouts.
Sports Illustrated, after all, is
fighting the same economic battles
other companies in the print journalism
business are facing: The lack of the
advertising dollar. I've never seen SI
as skinny as it is now. Frankly, I'm
wondering if the once-proud magazine
is going to survive. To me, this is a 
sad thing because, for a number of years,
I was on the magazine's payroll as a
regional contributor.]