RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, February 26, 2016

Stunning

By RON MALY

Not everyone reads Twitter.

I mean, tweeting and being tweeted ain't for everyone.

I try to read as many tweets as I can, but I'll be darned if I'm going to sink into Twitter/tweet overload at this stage of my life.

Seth Davis
But someone who spends a lot of time tweeting, writing, and talking as the collegiate basketball season roars to its finish is nationally-known and nationally-respected Seth Davis.

Davis has been spending recent days tweeting about what's going on with the teams we'll be seeing in the upcoming NCAA Big Dance.

I found what he wrote about Iowa State  very interesting.

Somewhat stunning, too.

The Cyclones, as we all know, are having a good-but-not-great season  in coach Steve Prohm's first term as the successor to Fred Hoiberg.

I've seen some of Iowa State's games, but certainly not all of 'em.

I mean, I don't let the telecast of a collegiate basketball game get in the way of something I really want to do.

In a recent tweet, Davis wrote, "I spoke with three coaches [head coaches and assistants] from the Big 12 and Big East, plus two from the Pac 12...I granted the coaches anonymity so they would give it to us straight. Then I pried, provoked and prompted them to divulge the potential weak points and tendencies of these teams.If these assessments seem unduly harsh, that is my fault, not theirs...."

Here's what Davis wrote about Iowa State:

Iowa State [19–9, 8–7]: "Everybody in the league knows they will not foul because they only have six or seven guys. So you just have to drive it and go at 'em. [Senior forward Georges] Niang is a great offensive player, so you have to post him and make him play defense, because he's not going to foul and he's not an athlete. When he drives, you have to make him a finisher because he's really good at passing the ball. If Niang is standing still, he's a big-time passer; but once he gets moving, he can't stop. He's so big and bulky. He loves to go baseline and then spin back into that righty hook, so you have to try to wall him in on the baseline. [Coach] Steve [Prohm] has done a good job keeping continuity after Fred [Hoiberg] left. They're pretty much running all the same plays, which is smart. I heard when Fred was there that sometimes [senior forward Jameel] McKay didn't want to practice, which Fred allowed, but Steve isn't allowing that. They survived without him, but they're not nearly as good when he's out. [Junior guard Monte] Morris has become such a better scorer. His transformation from three years ago is amazing. He only scores when he needs to, but he hits some big shots."

[RON MALY'S COMMENTS--Frankly, I'm shocked with some of that.  I have known Fred Hoiberg for many years.  I covered him as a collegiate player at Iowa State. I regard Fred Hoiberg as a no-nonsense, stand-up guy who is one of the best basketball coaches in America, and I can't imagine him allowing Jameel McKay to sit out practices. I think Cyclone fans who are a bit disappointed in what's happened in Prohm's first season will appreciate what Davis wrote about him. I know Randy Peterson of the paper is on top of everything at Iowa State. He has good sources and he's not reluctant to write what he finds out and what he thinks. I agree with what he's been writing about Iowa State's defense--or, rather, the lack of it. He'll get to the bottom of whether McKay actually sat out practices last season when Hoiberg was the coach, and he'll inform his readers what he learns.  The job won't be easy. It never is. I'm just glad I don't have to investigate crap like that anymore.  I did it for a lot of years.  Now it's somebody else's turn].