RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, February 4, 2016

The Phrase 'He Got His Bell Rung' Is Out Of Vogue

By RON MALY

Rumor has it that the 2015-2016 football season will finally end Sunday when they get around
to playing the Super Bowl.  

It's a season that's been going on since July--about 8 months ago. 

"How time flies," My Neighbor Al, the Health Nut said today over a cup of Italian Dark Roast. 

I haven't been thinking a lot about football
since Christian McCaffrey of Stanford ran over, ran around and ran past Iowa in the Rose Bowl. 

A day or two ago, I thought about the phrase related to football that we don't hear anymore. 

It's this one: "He got his bell rung." 

In the dark ages of football--like the 1950s and 1960s--a player who got his bell run used to be reason for being awarded a merit badge. 

It meant that player hit someone, or got hit by someone, so hard that a concussion, a sudden and temporary loss of memory or other awful things resulted. 

That was before chronic traumatic encephalopathy [CTE] creeped into our vocabulary, and before some critics started wondering if the playing of football was a wise thing for our young people to do. 

Now getting your bell rung is definitely not a wise thing to have happen. 

I was not a football player, and as far as I know, I've never had my bell rung. 

I definitely do not regret it.

Furthermore, after thinking about it, I don't want my bell rung. 

Experience has taught me that are other things in life that make me feel a whole lot better.