RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Etc.

By RON MALY

As many of you know, My Neighbor Al, the Health Nut is a longtime fan of Northern Iowa athletics.

Naturally, Al has been on Cloud 9 since the Panthers earned a spot in the NCAA's Big Dance Sunday with their last-second victory over Evansville in the championship game of the Missouri Valley Conference tournament.

Al was still flying high a couple of hours ago when he came over for a cup of Italian Dark Roast.

"Are you thinking of going to The Dance?" I asked him.

"No, the missus hasn't been feeling all that well," Al said. "She and I will watch the games on TV."

I wasn't surprised by  that. Al and Diane have been retired for a number of years and, like a lot of other retirees, they're on fixed incomes. 

Diane has a pension, Al doesn't.

It doesn't help matters that Diane isn't feeling all that chipper. She's already been to the walk-in clinic, so I hope she feels better soon.

"I was wondering something," Al said to me. "During the Valley tournament, I read the paper at Hy-Vee--like I do every other morning.

"I noticed that the paper didn't send a staff writer to cover the UNI and Drake games in St.
Louis. A penny-pinching deal if I ever saw one. Hell, if it was Iowa State or Iowa in their conference tournaments, the paper would've had two reporters in each place. Maybe photographers, too.

"Can you ever remember the paper not sending a reporter to the Valley tournament in other years?"

"No, I can't remember it happening," I said. "I covered the tournament a number of times when I worked there. The Valley is a class league and runs a class tournament. I, too, was shocked the paper didn't assign a reporter to make the drive to St. Louis."

"Do you suppose they'll cover UNI in The Dance?" Al asked.

"I'd say it depends on where UNI plays, and if the paper can scrape enough money to put a tank of gas in the company car," I said.

"Give me another cup," Al said.

*

I notice stuff like this. Perhaps the best reporter in the state these days is Ryan J. Foley of the Associated Press. He works harder, has more bylines and more outstanding stories in the Des Moines Register than a lot of the folks who are on the paper's payroll.

*

If I were an Illinois football fan, I wouldn't be as giddy about the hiring of Lovie Smith as the
Lovie Smith
football coach as some people seem to be. What has Smith ever done to prove he can recruit Big Ten-caliber athletes? When is the last time he recruited anyone? Who knows if his X's and O's are going to move the dial at Illinois, a sadsack operation if I ever saw one?