RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

The Dance

By RON MALY

I've been preoccupied with high school basketball in recent days, but that doesn't mean I didn't take some time today to find out what all of us fully expected--that Iowa, Iowa State
The Big Dance

and Northern Iowa all will be in the NCAA tournament, also known as The Big Dance.

I wish our state's fourth Division I university--Drake-was also getting ready to play in The Dance. 

But when a team has a 7-24 record like the Bulldogs had in the 2015-2016 season, a postseason snub is not a shock.

The chatterboxes on CBS and ESPN informed me that Iowa will play Temple; Iowa State will confront Iona [be careful with the spelling of that school; don't confuse it with Iowa], and UNI will match shots and rebounds with Texas.

Frankly, a couple of my friends [who think they know a lot about major-college basketball] are a bit concerned that one or two of our teams may not survive the opening round. 

But, being the optimist that I am, I want to assure you that all three Iowa squads will make it to the second round.

Good luck to all of them.

And maybe next season, Drake will join the other three teams in The Dance.

Like I said, I'm an optimist.