RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

I Admit It. I'm Old-Fashioned. I Don't Think Beer Should Be Sold In University and College Football Stadiums


By RON MALY

If there was any doubt in your mind that collegiate football is big business--with emphasis on the word big--then this column
should erase that doubt.

Multiple reports say that beer will be sold, and obviously will be consumed, by football fans of the legal drinking age in Ohio State's stadium this fall.

West Virginia, Minnesota, Texas and Louisville are among other universities that allow beer sales in their stadiums.

I just hope the idea doesn't spread to Iowa, Iowa State and any other university or college in our state.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned--wait a second, there's no maybe about it, I am old-fashioned--but I don't think beer should be sold inside college and university stadiums.

I know plenty of beer and other alcoholic beverages are consumed by people of all ages in the tailgate areas before and after collegiate football games.

I would prefer that the drinking of alcoholic beverages be reserved for the tailgaters.

It bothers me a lot that universities will be offering beer to young people of drinking age while football games are being played.

As I indicated, I guess I haven't joined the 21st century.