RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

It's Time for a Rain Dance

By RON MALY

I've been worried about the weather in Iowa for a few weeks now.
Jay A. Davidson

For a long time, I thought I was the only guy in this state concerned about the hot, dry days and nights we were experiencing.

I'd turn on TV to hear what the weather people were saying, and what I'd hear was something like, "Well, there won't be any rain to ruin your weekend plans." 

Dumb stuff.

Hell, I'd love to have a downpour do something to my weekend plans.

It turns out that Jay A. Davidson of Des Moines, a man I've known for a number of years, is also concerned about the dry weather.

On Facebook, he said he was ready to do a rain dance.

I told him [on Facebook, too] that I'd be happy to participate in the same dance.

This morning on Facebook, Davidson wrote to me: "I can hardly remember a June in central Iowa being this dry. Do you?"

My response:"

"I agree. I can't recall June being this dry. We are getting July weather in June. My feeling is that this does not bode well for the rest of the summer. Call it global warming, call it whatever you want. This is strange weather, which unfortunately means that anything growing in Iowa is taking a beating. Hopefully, the farmers' corn and bean crops won't take a whipping, too. If that happens, everyone is in trouble."

I am also sure gas prices will soon rise because of the lack of rain.

They always do when the weather is strange.

Also grocery prices.

Hy-Vee is always looking for a reason to jack up the price of meat, eggs, bread, toilet paper and everything else.