RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, May 17, 2014

This Is Mostly About Autographs: The Day In the Summer Of 1948 When I Got An Autograph At Wrigley Field From the St. Louis Cardinals' Stan Musial, And How Fans Of Ames' Harrison Barnes, Now An NBA Player, Can Get His Autograph Free



By RON MALY


I'll start by saying that I'm not someone who normally wants anyone else's autograph.




The only time I can recall asking an athlete to sign his name to a piece of paper was when I was 12 years of age and was attending my second major league baseball game. 
Stan Musial


The game was at Wrigley Field in Chicago, and the Cubs were playing the St. Louis Cardinals.

I'd been invited to go to Chicago on a driving trip with Cliff Stone and his family from Cedar Rapids. 

At the time, I was a friend of Cliff's son, Jack Stone. 

The year was 1948, and the first game we saw on that trip was at old Comiskey Park in Chicago, where the White Sox played the Cleveland Indians. 

[By the way, the summer of 1948 was very eventful for me--and not all of it was pleasant. I'd had a pretty good season as a second baseman and pitcher for my Kids League baseball team in Cedar Rapids and--as a 12-year-old might do then and now--I foolishly envisioned myself as a future big league star. But I couldn't keep any weight on my body that summer, and it seemed like I was thirsty all of the time. Little did I know when I accompanied the Cliff Stone family to Chicago that I was in the process of developing Type I diabetes, a serious illness that people didn't know nearly as much about in 1948 as they do now. In that summer of '48, my weight had dropped to dangerous levels and, on the trip to Chicago, Cliff Stone would pull his car into farmyards throughout Iowa and Illinois so I could quench my thirst at water pumps. The Stones didn't know it, and I certainly didn't know it, that a month later I would have an atrocious 700-plus blood glucose score when I was examined by a doctor in Cedar Rapids, and my weight would be 79 pounds. Before insulin was discovered in 1921, the life expectency of a newly-diagnosed Type I diabetic was anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months. It was on Sept. 20, 1948 that I was told by Dr. Walter Block that I would spend the rest of my life as a Type I, insulin-dependent diabetic. After being informed what was in store for me, I spent the next 5 weeks in hospitals at Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. Needless to say, it makes me very happy to be able to tell you all about this nearly 66 years later].

Now back to autographs.

The atmosphere at a major league baseball game in 1948 was much different than it is now.

Jack Stone and I were able to get the autograph of Stan Musial, one of the best baseball players in the history of the sport and a future Hall of Famer with the St. Louis Cardinals, before the game at Wrigley Field began.

The way I recall it, Musial was signing autographs for kids near the St. Louis dugout, and Jack and I were able to go down there from our seats in the grandstand to get autographs.

Can you imagine a kid being able to get the autograph of a major league standout these days before a game? 

Certainly not.

Now back to the other stuff I intended to write about. 

It's about autographs.

Free autographs.

I saw on ESPN.com this morning that Golden State Warriors forward Harrison Barnes, who was a very good basketball player at Ames High School and at North Carolina, is saying he will fill his offseason with staying in shape, playing video games and signing autographs. 

Barnes said on his Facebook page that he's implementing an autograph policy that will allow his fans to get his signature, free of charge, in the offseason.

Harrison Barnes

"Since I get so many requests for autographs, I bought a P.O. Box for all of you to send items for me to sign," Barnes wrote. "I'm really excited to sign for everyone who's ever asked me for an autograph. I appreciate all the messages and replies I get on social media. This is my thank-you to all of you and a token of my appreciation for not only supporting me as a player, but as a person as well."

Barnes wrote that in order for fans to qualify for an autograph, they must write a handwritten letter explaining why they want an item signed and send a photo of them holding the item. Fans, who are permitted only one autograph per person, also must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for Barnes to return the item.

"My time is limited because of daily workouts, 'Games of Thrones,' 'House of Cards,' and video games," Barnes wrote. "Items will be sent back as soon as possible."

That's a very nice thing for Harrison Barnes to do.


*

Photos of Stan Musial and Harrison Barnes courtesy of Google and ESPN.com