RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

As I was on my way out of church last night, a longtime member named Byron [most people refer to him as Bud] asked me, "Who are picking in your NCAA tournament bracket?" Without hesitation, I said, "Valparaiso." I really hadn't been thinking about the Big Dance during the 45-minute Lenten service, but 14th-seeded Valparaiso somehow quickly came to my mind when I was asked about the first day of the tournament. Sadly, the Crusaders are already out of The Dance. They lost to Michigan State. 65-54, at Auburn Hills, Mich., early this afternoon after falling behind by 17 points at halftime. At least Valpo [that's what longtime followers of Valparaiso call the school] made it a respectable score at the end. I guess I said I was on Valparaiso's bandwagon because my niece, Michelle, lives in Valparaiso, Ind., and her husband, Carter Hanson, is an English professor at the university. I'm sure Michelle, Carter and their two daughters are bigtime Valparaiso fans. Indeed, I meant to call them this morning to wish the Crusaders well in the tournament. But I didn't get around to it, and the game was over before I thought of it again. I guess I should've called yesterday. I've seen Valparaiso play in NCAA games in past seasons. I was covering a regional one year when Homer Drew was the coach, and I made sure I interviewed him after his game. Homer knew his X's and O's. Homer has had two sons who also have been Valpo coaches. Heck, even ex-UCLA coach Gene Bartow was a former Valparaiso coach, and he once brought his team to Veterans Memorial Auditorium in downtown Des Moines for a game against Drake. Maury John's Bulldogs won, but Valpo played well. I should also add that Valparaiso's loss today didn't make a couple of my other friends happy. I'll call them Gloria and Glen because I don't now if they want to be identified on the Internet or not. I'll find out later tonight when I see them at church. I'm sure Gloria took the loss harder than her husband Glen. She's a definite Crusaders fan, and was wearing her Valparaiso sweater last night at church. Glen's chances of advancing in the tournament are much better. He's more of an Indiana fan than a Valparaiso fan.