RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, March 11, 2013

Exclusive


By RON MALY

I wrote about exclusives yesterday on another of my websites.

I haven't noticed that anyone else is writing about this subject, so I've decided that today's essay is another exclusive.

I wish someone who writes or talks about high school basketball would let me know what the attendance numbers were for the state high school boys' and girls' tournaments.

I guess I should've gone to the tournaments to find out for myself, but I didn't.

Next season maybe I will.

I watched part of Iowa City West's 54-36 mauling of Bettendorf in the class 4-A championship game Saturday night on TV, but not once did I hear the announcers mention the attendance.

I didn't see any numbers in the paper either.

My feeling has always been that fans are a big part of any athletic event, so I always want to know how many people are, or were, at an event.

I covered more than a few boys' and girls' tournaments in my newspaper years, and I always tried to get attendance figures into my stories.

If I didn't get official numbers from the boys' association and the girls' union, I made my own estimates.

Frankly, I didn't think there were enough fans at the Iowa City West-Bettendorf game.

I saw lots of empty seats as I watched on TV.

What I'm wondering is if people who aren't associated with the two competing teams show up at Wells Fargo Arena for these games?

If not, why?

When I was covering state high school tournaments in the previous century, I recall capacity or near-capacity crowds at Veterans Memorial Auditorium, where the tournaments then were played.

I don't remember if the capacity was called 14,500 or 12, 500 in those years.

High school events always seemed to have different seating arrangements than Drake games, which then were held at the Auditorium.

By the way, I checked the box scores on the Iowa High School Athletic Association website  from Saturday night's 4-A championship title game and the 3-A title game won by Waverly-Shell Rock over Harlan, and there were no attendance figures in either one.

A line in the box score said:

Attendance:

But there were no numbers.

Shame on the association.

Another thing I can't figure out is how I could get a paper tossed on my porch this morning that had nothing--not one word--about the boys' state tournament in it.

The Iowa City West-Bettendorf game finished late Saturday night, and my guess is the result was in only one edition of Sunday's paper.

I'm sure the game story was "picked up" for today's early edition [there used to be several, early editions; now I think there's just one], but there should have been a wrap-up column to the entire tournament in today's paper.

It seemed that a half-dozen or so people were covering the tournament at one time or another.

You'd think one of them would've been assigned the job of summarizing the entire tournament in a column today.

Such a project would seem to be a natural, considering the emphasis on local news at the paper these days.

But they seem more concerned down there now about whether a guy shaves than what he writes.

I don't know if anyone is called the high school editor anymore or not. In the old days,

Chuck Burdick was the guy. 

In the really old days, Brad Wilson was the guy.

Before that, though not quite back to the covered-wagon days, Jack North was the guy.

It was their job to write columns, commentary or feature stories on the tournament.

It used to be that "celebration" stories were written about teams that won the tournaments, but now there are so many classes in high school sports that it wouldn't be practical.

However, a column wrapping up information about the tournament [attendance being one subject] is needed.

For instance, I'd like to know the future plans are of every starter on every team that played in the championship game of every class. 

That's my exclusive for the day.