RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, June 9, 2014

B. J. Windhorst Is a Gamer, and I Hope He's Finally the Coach Who Can Take An Eraser To the Underachiever Label That Has Haunted Valley's Boys' Basketball Program Since 1993


By RON MALY

Hardly a day goes by when I can't figure out something I see in the paper, and today was no exception. 

I saw the story that said B. J. Windhorst will be Valley's new boys' basketball coach.  

Windhorst was quoted as saying, "When you have a position like Valley become open, it's a great opportunity. I'm extremely excited."  

In the last paragraph of the story, it says, "Windhorst did not immediately return calls seeking comment." 

To me, that sounds like either dumb reporting or dumb editing. 

My guess is it's probably both. 

But, like I said earlier, it's something else in the paper I can't figure out. 

All I know is this: I've written plenty of times that the Valley job is very challenging. 

The Tigers haven't won a state championship since Bill Harris' 1993 team did it. 

In recent years, Valley has been an underachieving boys' program, including during the years Jeff Horner was in charge. 

For a long time, it was thought that the best athletes in the huge school played football, not basketball. 

Could be. 

Football coach Gary Swenson has won five class 4-A state championships at Valley. 

Swenson is a wonderful coach, and obviously he's someone who understands Valley and its athletic program. 

The Tigers will be loaded in football again in 2014. 

They always are.

I don't know if they can beat Dowling [or, for that matter, Waukee and Southeast Polk], but they'll be representative, you can be certain. 

In my estimation, Valley is a sleeping giant in basketball. 

I hope Windhorst is the right guy at the right time at 35th and Woodland in West Des Moines. 

I do know he's a gamer. 

I covered him when he played basketball at Drake, and I like his attitude. 

He did a good job when he coached at Southeast Polk, which means he understands the Central Iowa Metro League. 

It's time Valley's basketball program rid itself of that underachiever label, starting in the 2014-2015 season.