RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Chicago Cubs are such a bad team that even their radio station is giving up on them. That's right, WGN, which has broadcast the Cubs' games for 90 years or so, says it's somebody else's turn to bring lousy baseball over the air to longtime fans of the team. Starting next season, Chicago station WBBM will be the Cubs' flagship station. I don't know if that setup will in any way change what happens to people who want to hear Cub games in places like Des Moines, Cedar Rapids and Timbuktu, but we'll find out. Now, of course, Des Moines station KRNT broadcasts the Cubs' games, via a feed from WGN. I don't listen to nearly as many games on the radio as I once did [hell, I don't even listen to radio much anymore], but I hope KRNT makes a deal with the Cubs' new station next year and in years to come because it's sometimes fun to listen to how the radio announcers describe the comical way the Cubs play. As a kid, I'd try to listen to Cub games from my home in Cedar Rapids. I'd get a crackly sound directly from WGN, and not much else. The Cubs were no better then than they are now, of course. By the way, WGN-TV is also in the process of dumping the Cubs. That also may happen next season. Tough times for the battered old ballclub.