RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, June 23, 2014

Not Ready for Prime-Time


By RON MALY


One of my sons was a standout collegiate soccer player. In those years, I enjoyed watching him play, and I enjoyed watching his team win. Despite all of that, I don't know a lot about soccer, and I haven't paid much attention lately to what's going on in the sport nationally and throughout the world. Unlike a lot of other Americans, I haven't suddenly become a huge soccer fan because the United States is playing in the World Cup. Indeed, I haven't watched a minute of either of the games the U.S. has played in Brazil against Ghana [a victory] and Portugal [a tie, or as they say in soccer, a draw]. However, I can't help feeling that the U.S. should never have to settle for a 2-2 tie with Portugal. The U.S. should never have to settle for a tie with Portugal in any sport. We're supposed to be the world leader in everything, aren't we? I say that even though the U.S. soccer coach is a German, and five of the U.S. players are German-Americans. Indeed, I think the U.S. choked in the final seconds of its tie with Portugal. The U.S. couldn't finish. That's never a good thing in the World Cup or the World Anything. I guess the U.S. soccer team isn't yet ready for prime-time.