RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, September 19, 2015

And the State Champion [Again] Will Be Dowling


By RON MALY

I don't particularly want to write that I told you so...but, hey, I told you so.

A few weeks ago, I wrote this in a column:

It's no secret that I'm a big follower of the athletic program at Valley High School. I've lived in West Des Moines for 48 years, and my three sons and three of my six grandchildren own diplomas from the school. A fourth grandchild will graduate from Valley in two years.

I happen to think that Valley's Gary Swenson is the best high school football coach in the state, and one of the best anywhere. He has five state championships to prove it.


But I don't necessarily think the Tigers should be ranked No. 1 in the state by the paper at this stage of the season, even though they walloped Waukee, 44-13, Friday night.

As far as I'm concerned, Valley's opponent from a few miles down the road in West Des Moines--Dowling--should be on top of the class 4-A rankings.

Dowling won the 2014 state championship, and I know coach Tom Wilson has another standout team this season.

Wilson is a very good coach and he'll have his players sky-high when they tee it up Sept. 18  against Valley in a Dowling home game at Drake Stadium.

Until the Maroons lose, they're No. 1 in my book.


*

Well, you and I saw what happened last night. 

Dowling manhandled Valley, 38-21, at Drake Stadium

The paper, in a typical exercise in overstatement, called it a "stunner."

The only people stunned by the outcome were those at the paper, plus perhaps a few misguided Valley fans who really thought the Tigers had a defense that could stop Dowling.


Valley is a pretty good team, but clearly not as good as Dowling.

I happen to think coach Tom Wilson's Maroons are the best team in the state, and they will run the table en route to yet another 4-A championship.

No high school football program in this state compares to the one Wilson  has constructed at Dowling.