RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Impressive


By RON MALY

As you know, I've been paying attention to collegiate football for a lot of years. 

A lot of decades, really. 

A lot more years and decades than I care to remember, I guess. 

But it was fun 70 years ago, and it's fun now. 

I don't spend as much time following the game as I did earlier in my life, but I observe enough to draw a conclusion or two about the landscape. 

I got a close-up look at Iowa' 2015 team yesterday in its final non-conference game, and came away impressed.  

The Hawkeyes manhandled Dan McCarney's North Texas team, 62-16, in Kinnick Stadium. 

I felt bad for McCarney, a friend of mine dating back to his days as an Iowa player and later as an assistant coach at Iowa and Wisconsin, and the head coach at Iowa State.

He's a man I respect, but he and his team were clearly in over their heads yesterday. 

However, this Hawkeye team, coached by Kirk Ferentz, is capable of doing that to an opponent.  

Frankly, I don't think there's any team on the schedule that Iowa can't beat. 

After all, this is not the most difficult schedule in major-college football.

I'm not saying the Hawkeyes will go 12-0 and play in the Big Ten championship game, but I think we're looking at a team that could finish the regular season 10-2 or 9-3.  

Iowa has a 4-0 record heading into its Big Ten opener next Saturday at Wisconsin. 

You know and I know that will be a difficult game for the Hawkeyes.

Wisconsin is always difficult for Iowa.

But the Hawkeyes are a capable of winning this game, and they are capable of winning the other road games at Northwestern, Indiana and Nebraska. 

They certainly are capable of winning the rest of their home games against Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota and Purdue. 

But to say they'll run the table is foolish. 

It doesn't work that way in collegiate football these days. 

There's far too much parity in the Big Ten and in every other major conference. 

So I'm being conservative. 

Experience has taught me that. 

Right now, I'll predict the regular-season record to be 9-3.  

The losses will be, or could be, to Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska. 

I hope I'm wrong about that previous sentence. 

Don't forget, I wrote that Iowa is capable of winning 'em all, and I hope it happens.