RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Just What the Doctor Ordered


By RON MALY

My left ankle wasn't feeling worth a damn a while back.

It soreness was affecting my long-distance walking.

So I went to a doctor who specializes in feet and ankles. 

He looked at the X-rays of my ankle and said, "I'll tell you one thing right now. You've got arthritis." 

"That doesn't surprise me," I said. "I broke ankle back in the days when I was still working."

"How'd it happen?" the doctor asked.

"Well, they were getting ready to hold the Big Ten wrestling meet in Carver-Hawkeye Arena at Iowa City, "and they were moving some of the bleachers to make room for the mats.

"I made the mistake of jumping down from the bleachers, which were higher than normal, onto the floor.  I was walking around with a boot on my ankle the next morning. The ankle was broken."

One or two comments later, the doctor urged me to start taking fish oil pills. Maybe they would help my arthritic ankle feel better, he said.

"I take four fish oil pills every morning," he said.

I haven't started doing that yet.

Maybe tomorrow I will.

At least fish oil in some form.

You see, I read something in the health section of the New York Times that said fish oil, though controversial, might be good for kids.

And if fish oil is good for kids, it might be good for adults.

I'm thinking I might skip the pills and start taking a spoonful of cod liver oil every morning, like my mother told me to do.

I'll let you know in a few weeks how my ankle is doing.